Criminal complaints

In criminal proceedings, Czechs and foreigners have the same rights. The Guide for Foreign Victims of Crimes in the Czech Republic (download PDF) sums up how to defend yourself against illegal conduct.

If someone hurts you, contact the police and file a criminal complaint. You can get free help with that through the In Iustitia counselling centre.

If a criminal offence is involved, the prosecutor will submit an indictment and then there will be proceedings before the court. You can get free legal representation through the Pro Bono Centre. At court you also have the right to a free interpreter.

Remember the European emergency number 112 that you can call for free, without a SIM card or signal, even when your keyboard is locked. The operators speak English and the police can always trace back information about the call.

The guide is not something you are likely to have to use in Brno, though. The Czech Republic’s crime index ranks in the bottom half of the pack in Europe.

Do you have any questions? Send us an inquiry.

Your comments matter a lot to us.